General Music Talk

maz89
Ultra Poster

Re: General Music Talk   Reply #40

Postby maz89 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:49 pm

I just want to say that I LOVE Lana del Ray's new record. It's as if she's finally gone back to her roots -- I like how you've put it, as she has indeed found the perfect sweet spot for her seductive voice in these slow paced, semi-meditative songs. I'm going to come back with impressions after giving it a few more listens.

Btw, Swift performed in Paris a week or two ago and I couldn't believe I had missed it (I live nearby) until I realized she had invited only her most craziest fans (which makes the whole thing even more bizarre to me because I think we'd certainly qualify as being among her most craziest fans).
"Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose"

Eva Yojimbo
Ultra Poster

Re: General Music Talk   Reply #41

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:02 pm

Not to "compare all the girls who are killin' it," but the girls are indeed killin' it this year... first Carly, then Taylor, then Lana. You go girls!

Haha, I don't know if we'd count as her "craziest fans" since we seem to enjoy the music more than the celebrity stuff. There are people that obsess over every aspect of their favorite star's lives. I don't know what Taylor had for breakfast today, I just know she writes hella-good songs. I've even got her entire discography back on my playlist along with a range of new-and-old stuff: Pretenders, Replacements, Arcade Fire, Joanna Newsom (check her out if you haven't), Chromatics, Bon Iver, Portishead, Charli XCX, and Thank You Scientist.
"As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being." -- Carl Jung

Eva Yojimbo
Ultra Poster

Re: General Music Talk   Reply #42

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:23 pm

BTW, I tried to look up what the instrument being used on It's Nice to Have a Friend was because it was driving me nuts. I've heard it before but couldn't place it. I was thinking Eastern but turns out I was wrong; it's a steelpan from Trinidad. Here's a video of someone playing one:
"As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being." -- Carl Jung

Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Re: General Music Talk   Reply #43

Postby Raxivace » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:31 pm

Okay Taylexperts, I've come into the forbidden quarantined General Music Talk thread because I need you guys to settle something. My father and I happened to watch Swift on SNL the other day, however in her first song of the night my father insists that she's lip-synching because "her voice doesn't change no matter how far away she is from the microphone".

That sounds goofy as heck to me and probably wrong. What do you guys think?

Here's the specific song that caused the debate:

"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris

Eva Yojimbo
Ultra Poster

Re: General Music Talk   Reply #44

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:55 am

^ If she's lip-synching (I really don't think she is here), she's doing it off a re-recorded track as it sounds nothing like the original:

As for the volume not changing when she moves away, that would depend on the audio compression being used. Basically, you can jack up the input signal or lower the threshold (depending on the device) enough so that unless she moved really far away it would still be at roughly the same volume. Of course you can also NOT do this to allow the singer more dynamic control if they DO want to use distance from the mic to create a volume difference. Guitarists do the same thing as I have a compressor pedal for my guitar. For blues-stuff you want the input low so you can control dynamics, but for something like metal you generally want more compression and less changes in volume.

PS, I'll try to catch up on the movie/TV thread ASAP. Still pretty swamped with football and I also have a concert (Tool) I'm going to tomorrow that's about a 2-hour drive away, so it may take me some time.

Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Re: General Music Talk   Reply #45

Postby Raxivace » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:00 am

Okay, I figured modern mics were probably like that but I have basically no experience with them myself.

I'm not aware who this "Tool" is but I hope you have fun at your concert! I had my first of several dentist appointments over the next several weeks yesterday, so while listening to these Tool people put on their concert think about how I'm recovering from getting three fillings lol.
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris

maz89
Ultra Poster

Re: General Music Talk   Reply #46

Postby maz89 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:47 am

Rax, I can't view that video due to a location restriction. But I trust Jimbo's judgment.

Coincidence that Jimbo talked about going to a concert because I was just dropping by here to talk about a concert experience of mine too. I went to the Pitchfork Music Festival in Paris yesterday and saw Aurora perform live. It was magic.

I'd skipped the set of the artist on the other stage (Charli XCX is not my cup of tea so it was not a difficult decision) and I was standing pretty close to the stage (fourth row) when Aurora appeared on stage. I realized most of us in the audience close to the stage were familiar with her work; there was an air of intimacy. I was starstruck. The lighting was perfect; she was illuminated in different colors and in all my videos of her performances, she looks like she's performing from another world. She began with Churchyard, a track I wasn't familiar with but instantly fell in love with. All I could think was that every song she sang sounded 10x better live - as I knew it would. The recorded version of Warrior does little for me but seeing her put so much energy into it on stage brought it to life for me. I kept hoping that All is Soft Inside would feature in the setlist (having seen and been blown away by a live version on youtube) but it didn't. On the positive side, I fell in love with The River, and was introduced to the beautiful Daydreamer. And she did include her two most popular songs, Runaway and Running with the Wolves. Runaway is perhaps my top 3 Aurora so I was destined to get goosebumps. The "no-no-no"s at the end along with her movements were hypnotic; I also liked her introduction of the song as being one about a desire of wanting to go home in the sense of people rather than place. On Running, the audience joined in the chorus, particularly the "woo-hoo-oolves" part. At some point, she began talking about her pro-environment, pro-love, pro-we-can-save-the-world-if-we-put-our-heart-into-it views before admitting she was talking so much because of a drum malfunction. She then said "sooo, my favorite color is brown... my favorite animal is the polar bear" to audience laughter. So adorable. I would love to see her perform again.

After Aurora, I saw The 1975 perform and they were pretty good. I was familiar with a few of their songs (Sex, Chocolate, Somebody Else, Robbers) and it was fun. Again, the lighting (and how it was perfectly synchronized with the music) was pretty amazing. Because they had the bigger stage, they had some advantage regarding the sound/lighting.

Anyway, Swift is performing in Europe next year but the tickets are all sold out. :( There's tickets for her other Europe shows but those will come at a cost. Wondering if I should shell out extra on StubHub... I don't know. Your thoughts? You planning to catch one of the few shows planned in the US?
"Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose"

Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Re: General Music Talk   Reply #47

Postby Raxivace » Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:58 pm

maz89 wrote:Your thoughts? You planning to catch one of the few shows planned in the US?
If you're asking me, no because I wouldn't call myself a Swift fan (The songs she played on SNL are the only ones of her's that I've even heard), and in general I don't enjoy live music or concerts at all.

Still if you really want to go very badly and if you can afford the cost, you might as well.

Eva Yojimbo
Ultra Poster

Re: General Music Talk   Reply #48

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:41 am

Raxivace wrote:Okay, I figured modern mics were probably like that but I have basically no experience with them myself.

I'm not aware who this "Tool" is but I hope you have fun at your concert! I had my first of several dentist appointments over the next several weeks yesterday, so while listening to these Tool people put on their concert think about how I'm recovering from getting three fillings lol.
FYI it's not the mics but whatever processor the mic signal is going into that does the compression. Swift recently did a mini-show for NPR's Tiny Desk series and that's probably a better example of hearing her live:

Go to about 13:00 especially and you can hear what she sounds like when she moves between/around the mics. You can tell how she has to move pretty far away before you hear a major volume difference. There's also very little processing here otherwise (no reverb/delay) unlike the SNL performance, so you can hear her actual voice even clearer. It's also really cool hearing these songs stripped down. A lot of people don't give her a chance because all they hear is the very polished, uber-produced studio stuff, but underneath all that there's just really good songs (I'd at least recommend hearing All Too Well, which is probably her very best and one I can't hear without crying).

Tool is one of my top 10 bands/artists and I pretty much consider three of their albums to be 10/10 masterpieces. Anyway, the concert was probably the best I've ever seen, and I don't say that lightly as I've seen dozens of concerts in my life, but they were truly spectacular. The fact that I was second row and the mix was superb certainly helped. That's one of the few shows I've been to that was so powerful it seemed to generate that same kind of transcendental connectedness I used to get from church when I was a kid.

Sorry to hear about your dental troubles! I've been lucky in that I've never had any dental problems in my life, not even a cavity.

Eva Yojimbo
Ultra Poster

Re: General Music Talk   Reply #49

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:46 am

maz89 wrote:Coincidence that Jimbo talked about going to a concert because I was just dropping by here to talk about a concert experience of mine too. I went to the Pitchfork Music Festival in Paris yesterday and saw Aurora perform live. It was magic.
Very cool to hear about this. I saw Guns n' Roses and Tool within 5 days of each other; saw GnR on a Thursday (they were only a 20 minute drive) and Tool the next Tuesday (about a 2-hour drive to Tulsa). GNR was a lot of fun, but I felt like I'd seen them before with their live DVDs/blu-rays, but it was fun seeing most all the band members back together. Tool was something else entirely; like I said to rax, hands down the best concert I've ever been to. Damn near a religious experience. Sounds like Aurora was awesome live too.

maz89 wrote:Anyway, Swift is performing in Europe next year but the tickets are all sold out. :( There's tickets for her other Europe shows but those will come at a cost. Wondering if I should shell out extra on StubHub... I don't know. Your thoughts? You planning to catch one of the few shows planned in the US?
No real way to advise here; it just depends on how much you think it's worth and how much the tickets are. If she ever comes near me I'd be willing to spend ~$650 to go, but I don't think I could justify much more. Hell, I got second row at the Tool show for $300, and as much as I love Swift I can't imagine her concert being twice as good as they were (even though I know it would be a very different thing).

Return to “Music”