General Music Talk

maz89
Ultra Poster

Re: General Music Talk   Reply #40

Postby maz89 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:49 pm

I just want to say that I LOVE Lana del Ray's new record. It's as if she's finally gone back to her roots -- I like how you've put it, as she has indeed found the perfect sweet spot for her seductive voice in these slow paced, semi-meditative songs. I'm going to come back with impressions after giving it a few more listens.

Btw, Swift performed in Paris a week or two ago and I couldn't believe I had missed it (I live nearby) until I realized she had invited only her most craziest fans (which makes the whole thing even more bizarre to me because I think we'd certainly qualify as being among her most craziest fans).
"Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose"

Eva Yojimbo
Ultra Poster

Re: General Music Talk   Reply #41

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:02 pm

Not to "compare all the girls who are killin' it," but the girls are indeed killin' it this year... first Carly, then Taylor, then Lana. You go girls!

Haha, I don't know if we'd count as her "craziest fans" since we seem to enjoy the music more than the celebrity stuff. There are people that obsess over every aspect of their favorite star's lives. I don't know what Taylor had for breakfast today, I just know she writes hella-good songs. I've even got her entire discography back on my playlist along with a range of new-and-old stuff: Pretenders, Replacements, Arcade Fire, Joanna Newsom (check her out if you haven't), Chromatics, Bon Iver, Portishead, Charli XCX, and Thank You Scientist.
"As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being." -- Carl Jung

Eva Yojimbo
Ultra Poster

Re: General Music Talk   Reply #42

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:23 pm

BTW, I tried to look up what the instrument being used on It's Nice to Have a Friend was because it was driving me nuts. I've heard it before but couldn't place it. I was thinking Eastern but turns out I was wrong; it's a steelpan from Trinidad. Here's a video of someone playing one:
"As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being." -- Carl Jung

Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Re: General Music Talk   Reply #43

Postby Raxivace » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:31 pm

Okay Taylexperts, I've come into the forbidden quarantined General Music Talk thread because I need you guys to settle something. My father and I happened to watch Swift on SNL the other day, however in her first song of the night my father insists that she's lip-synching because "her voice doesn't change no matter how far away she is from the microphone".

That sounds goofy as heck to me and probably wrong. What do you guys think?

Here's the specific song that caused the debate:

"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris

Return to “Music”