New decade; new movies (2020)

Gendo
Site Admin

New decade; new movies (2020)

Postby Gendo » Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:34 am

1. Hacksaw Ridge - Wow. Easily the best movie I've seen this year. But seriously, had I watched a day sooner; it would have definitely made my top 10 for 2019. Garfield and Weaving were both great. The story as a whole was wonderful; the war scenes intense. My only complaint would be that Vince Vaughn needs to stick to comedies; he just seemed really out of place.

Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Re: New decade; new movies   Reply #1

Postby Raxivace » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:45 am

I thought Hacksaw Ridge was only alright. I appreciate that Gibson wanted to glorify a medic over traditional combatants as so many other war movies do, but the film hasn't had much staying power with me.

Doesn't help that Hacksaw Ridge came out the same year as Silence, which is the vastly superior film about Andrew Garfield having his religious faith tested by violence in Japan.
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris

Gendo
Site Admin

Re: New decade; new movies   Reply #2

Postby Gendo » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:56 am

I remember reading Silence in an Asian studies class in college... didn’t realize there was a movie with Garfield!

*Edit* And Adam Driver?! Just added to my wish list.

Gendo
Site Admin

Re: New decade; new movies   Reply #3

Postby Gendo » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:04 am

Lol I knew this conversation sounded familiar... from my 2018 Black Friday thread when I bought Hacksaw Ridge:

Gendo wrote:
Silence

I didn't realize Silence was Andrew Garfield. We read the book in an Asian Studies class in college.

Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Re: New decade; new movies   Reply #4

Postby Raxivace » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:07 am

Yeah say what you will about the direction Star Wars took, but Adam Driver has been pretty consistently picking interesting projects these last few years.

Not all of them are great (Midnight Special immediately comes to mind), but the dude is worth paying attention to.
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris

Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Re: New decade; new movies   Reply #5

Postby Raxivace » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:08 am

Gendo wrote:Lol I knew this conversation sounded familiar... from my 2018 Black Friday thread when I bought Hacksaw Ridge:

Gendo wrote:
Silence

I didn't realize Silence was Andrew Garfield. We read the book in an Asian Studies class in college.
Lol I completely forgot this too.

Gendo
Site Admin

Re: New decade; new movies   Reply #6

Postby Gendo » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:06 pm

2. Us - Good. An interesting mix between the home invasion genre, zombie movie genre, and more standard horror genre. I have to admit that I didn't even get the symbolism while watching it; had to read about it later. Doesn't quite match the cleverness of Get Out; but still scary and enjoyable.

3. Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle - Not bad. I wasn't expecting much; it was fun and stupid. The couple small tie-ins to the original movie were good. Jack Black was great. Not really looking forward to seeing the sequel.

Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Re: New decade; new movies   Reply #7

Postby Derived Absurdity » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:05 pm

Just saw the sequel yesterday and it's pretty much exactly like the first one. It was sort of entertaining and fun.

Gendo
Site Admin

Re: New decade; new movies (2020)   Reply #8

Postby Gendo » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:11 pm

4. The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part - Good. The music was good, especially the not an evil queen song. Almost as good as the first one; the thing really stopping it from reaching that level was that the real-world parallel was both too obvious and shown too early. In the first one; the real-world parallel was basically presented as a twist in the final minutes of the film. Here; they show it very early on; and it's also just more in-your-face throughout. This made it so that instead of just watching the action itself for what it was, I was finding myself viewing it as toys being played with by kids. The humor, while good, was a bit excessive at times.

5. Side Effects - Interesting by the end... the first half of the movie is really boring, and I had no idea what it was about. Thought it was a simple story about a woman struggling with depression. Then it becomes an interesting mystery, followed b a cat-and-mouse game of characters trying to get the upper hand on one-another.

Gendo
Site Admin

Re: New decade; new movies (2020)   Reply #9

Postby Gendo » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:50 am

6. Creed II - Really good! Heavy emotion; basically cried liked 4 different times. Jordan was great, of course. Even Dolph Lundgren managed to bring a lot of depth to that character. The way the fight ended was just perfect; don’t think any of the other Rocky movies ended that way from what I remember. Also, they even got a child actor for Rocky's grandson that really looks like Thalia Shire!

Gendo
Site Admin

Re: New decade; new movies (2020)   Reply #10

Postby Gendo » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:15 pm

7. Beavis and Butt-Head Do America - Stupid. I mean, it's supposed to be stupid. But it was stupider than I expected. I never watched the show; though I'm a fan of Judge's other stuff. The trippy music video in the middle was cool. And as a King of the Hill fan, it's cool to see Tom Anderson who basically just is Hank Hill. But I almost never laughed.

Gendo
Site Admin

Re: New decade; new movies (2020)   Reply #11

Postby Gendo » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:12 am

8. We Own the Night - Meh. Not bad, but not good. I just didn't find the characters very compelling; and Joaquin's transformation felt forced.

9. Grudge Match - Good! Jake LaMotta vs Rocky, what's not to like? It wasn't as silly as I expected; it actually felt mostly genuine. Alan Arkin and Tracy Morgan and Kevin Hart were especially great.

Gendo
Site Admin

Re: New decade; new movies (2020)   Reply #12

Postby Gendo » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:15 pm

10. The Jerk - Somehow never saw this before. Very funny. Steve Martin was just a lot of fun. Some really clever and funny lines throughout.

Gendo
Site Admin

Re: New decade; new movies (2020)   Reply #13

Postby Gendo » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:15 pm

R1. Sherlock Holmes (2009) - My first rewatch of the year; and I watched it across at least 4 different sittings. Still good. The overall Guy Ritchie feel just works so well here. Downey is great of course. The music is wonderful.

Gendo
Site Admin

Re: New decade; new movies (2020)   Reply #14

Postby Gendo » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:52 pm

R2. A.I. Artificial Intelligence - Such a weird movie. Pretty much nothing in it actually makes any sense. There’s some cool set pieces and visuals. I used to really like this, but not so much anymore.

11. Dog Day Afternoon. It was ok, but not as good as I was expecting given its reputation. The characters were interesting. But a lot of stuff felt pretty unrealistic. Don’t know how accurate it is to real life. Maybe it’s just because I’ve seen too many bad comedies, but there’s a few different things that go along with “the polite bank robber” that I’ve seen in movies before, except normally they’re played for laughs because of how silly it is. Which made it hard to take seriously in this case. But it got better as it went on.

12. Baby Driver - Also fine, but I expect more from Edgar Wright by this point. The use of music was fantastic throughout for sure; as well as the usual attention to detail you expect from Wright. But the story and characters seemed lacking.

13. The Mule - Good. Not what I was expecting at all in terms of tone. I feel like Earl wasn’t developed enough as a character we never really know what he’s thinking or feeling about everything that’s going on; he just goes along with whatever and doesn’t seem to care. But it was fun to see a different type of character for Eastwood.

Gendo
Site Admin

Re: New decade; new movies (2020)   Reply #15

Postby Gendo » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:00 pm

14. The Commuter - Fine I guess. It's a compelling premise; just once I want to see a really good film made from the premise. So far they've all just been meh... The Box, The Commuter, Eagle Eye. The idea of a random person being controlled by a mysterious antagonist with power. I suppose The Belko Experiment is similar; though not quite the same premise; as it's not a random person being chosen.

Gendo
Site Admin

Re: New decade; new movies (2020)   Reply #16

Postby Gendo » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:50 pm

R3. Ghost - This totally holds up. Was great a long time ago, and still great now. I just checked out Jerry Zucker's filmography, and wow... Airplane, Ghost, First Knight... then he does Rat Race and that's the end of him; nothing for the next 19 years.

Gendo
Site Admin

Re: New decade; new movies (2020)   Reply #17

Postby Gendo » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:37 pm

15. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011) - Interesting. Very hard to follow the actual murder mystery; although it doesn't actually feel like the movie is about the murder mystery. I found myself compelled by wanting to know what was going to happen next most of the time. But ultimately it doesn't feel like it really goes anywhere. The mystery is just too hard to really follow; multiple times it feels like there's some big reveal where the characters have discovered something, and I just didn't understand what it was they discovered. Great atmosphere; but the plot was lacking.

Return to “Movies & Television”