Damon Lindelof's Watchmen

Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Damon Lindelof's Watchmen

Postby Raxivace » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:50 am

Anyone else going to be checking out the premiere on Sunday?

I feel hesitant about getting sucked into another Lindelof show only to feel disappointed in the end, but even when he's terrible I still can't help but be fascinated by whatever he's is doing. That he's also working with something as beloved as Watchmen has me curious too, especially if he actually does try and tackle new ideas instead of reiterating themes from Lost and The Leftovers (The latter of which already of which kind of repeated ideas from Lost).

Hopefully this new show won't be a disaster?
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris

Faustus5
Super Poster

Re: Damon Lindelof's Watchmen   Reply #1

Postby Faustus5 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:11 pm

Raxivace wrote:Anyone else going to be checking out the premiere on Sunday?

I feel hesitant about getting sucked into another Lindelof show only to feel disappointed in the end, but even when he's terrible I still can't help but be fascinated by whatever he's is doing. That he's also working with something as beloved as Watchmen has me curious too, especially if he actually does try and tackle new ideas instead of reiterating themes from Lost and The Leftovers (The latter of which already of which kind of repeated ideas from Lost).

Hopefully this new show won't be a disaster?

As a fan of the graphic novel (and even the movie), I will have no choice but to check it out. However, I'm always deeply suspicious of anything with this guy's name on it.

Faustus5
Super Poster

Re: Damon Lindelof's Watchmen   Reply #2

Postby Faustus5 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:57 pm

Just finished the first episode. Wasn't what I expected but I was pleased with what I saw (and what I heard from the Trent Reznor/Atticus Ross score).

The episode had something problematic which I hope is addressed later, in that it is just absurd to think that our heroes would be the police when fighting against a wide spread white supremacist movement. That ignores the fact that traditionally, those inclined towards the law enforcement line of work tend to have sympathies towards those types. We'll see.

Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Re: Damon Lindelof's Watchmen   Reply #3

Postby Raxivace » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:21 pm

Yeah I wondered about that too, though I'm sure the show is going somewhere with it considering the parallel between the Bass Reeves film in the first scene and the ending of the episode. I wouldn't be surprised if we find out if Don Johnson was himself a part of the Rorschach wannabe cult (The show even has a shootout at a cattle ranch, and Bass Reeves in the film accuses the sheriff of stealing cattle from the townspeople IIRC. An interesting echo)- he already seems to be set up as this series' version of the Comedian anyways, and we didn't find out the more troubling aspects about that guy until the comic book developed.

Still, while I'm intrigued about where this is all going I was a little underwhelmed considering the very positive reception this was getting from early screeners. The direction in particular seemed like kind of generic competent prestige TV directing to me. Not bad, but not zomg amazing either.
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris

Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Re: Damon Lindelof's Watchmen   Reply #4

Postby Raxivace » Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:36 am

So I thought episode 2 was pretty strong, and I think I'm liking episode 1 a lot more as time goes on.

Faustus5
Super Poster

Re: Damon Lindelof's Watchmen   Reply #5

Postby Faustus5 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:46 am

It's hard for me to think objectively about the second episode because my feelings about it are contaminated by the fact that for the entire episode it kept halting and going into buffer mode, which got worse as the episode went on, becoming nearly unwatchable towards the end. I guess it was pretty good, but I need to see a solid story developing pretty soon.

Faustus5
Super Poster

Re: Damon Lindelof's Watchmen   Reply #6

Postby Faustus5 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:30 pm

This show is getting better and better--episode 3 was fantastic, and so multi-layered. I've always loved Jean Smart from Fargo and Legion, and she stole every scene she was in.

Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Re: Damon Lindelof's Watchmen   Reply #7

Postby Raxivace » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:33 am

At first I was kind of disappointed to have the focus shift from Regina King to someone else like that, but yeah Jean Smart killed it. Great stuff.

Return to “Movies & Television”